Being productive as an Independent developer
This post has been on my draft ever since I started this blog. And I've been updating it over the years — I'm sure this will benefit you and the future me.
Rule of thumb: Be proactive rather than reactive. I check my phone in intervals and respond to non-work contacts only after work hours if possible.
- Phone on priority/silent mode while you need to be focused.
- Disable notifications sounds/vibrations for every possible app. Prefer LED only notifications.
- Use Inbox for gmail, and only have high priority notifications on.
- Do not pick that call or respond to that message if you're busy.
- Mute every messaging-group you're part of. Leave the group if it doesn't benefit you.
- Mute/block people that literally spam you.
- Limit your daily social apps to just 1 or 2. Logout of the app after every use if you find yourself using it too often. And turn off notifications!
- Sleep enough, take enough rest. Don't force yourself to work when you're very tired.
- Trying to sleep at a fixed time helps a lot. This alone improved my productivity a great deal.
- I also think it's important to spend time with family and friends, and do things you love doing. Doing things outside of work helps my productivity.
- Don't let your thoughts wander. Focus. Can't focus? Take a break. Got to be really consious about this one: am I working or taking a break?
- Keep asking yourself if you're doing what you need to do.
- Renew your goal everyday - motivate yourself everyday
- Do not multitask - do one thing at a time.
- Be accountable and take responsibility.
- Take notes and review it at least once a week.
Rule of thumb: fixed routines are easier than ever-changing schedules.
- Calendar appointments
What's helped you in improving your productivity? Any thing you'd like to add?